- The peripatetic service in Ceredigion is second to none and has a reputation of producing high quality musicians who contribute to the enjoyment of the wider public. Catrin Finch, Rhys Taylor etc all had some peripatetic teacher input as well as private tuition.
- Concerts organised by Ceredigion CC with children who receive peripatetic teaching taking part, are always well attended and of a standard much higher than that found in neighbouring counties.
- There were 9 individuals/ensembles from Ceredigion on stage in the recent Urdd National Eisteddfod, all in receipt of peripatetic music tuition
These are wonderful adverts for the County, with much more impact than some of the sanitised public dictums emanating from County Council HQ.
- How many teachers were there in 2006, 2007 and 2008?
- How many are proposed for 2009?
- Which posts have already been lost?
- How many have been offered early retirement?
- How can the National Music Curriculum be delivered without peripatetic teachers in key areas?
- What do the School Governors think of this, were they consulted?
I am sure as part of his explanation Cllr Davies will refer to the County Council financial settlement from the Assembly. This is a red herring and a convenient way of blaming somebody else - a regular Liberal Democrat tactic by the way. Consider the effect of spending money on peripatetic tuition against some of the other money wasting schemes offered by the County Council. You can cherry pick several from the wards represented by Cabinet Members.
Please take time to write to the Liberal Democrat Cabinet member, Cllr Ceredig Davies, outlining your objections.
The address is Adran Addysg, Swyddfa'r Sir, Glan y Môr, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 2DE. email@example.com